Saturday, July 29, 2006

[8:30 PM]

Hello everyone, I'm Sarah, and I'll be helping Nikki for a while.

You know, there are a lot of people who will look at children who have cancer and then look away, because they feel guilty about feeling miserable about their life.

I say don't.

Everyone goes through trials in life. It's a personal thing. These children are cancer survivors. Their parents are surviving a difficult battle as well. I'm an abuse survivor. You are a survivor of your own kind. Everyone who is alive today is a survivor of some kind of trial, even if that trial is still going on. The people who have died have also survived trials. Everyone has them.

I'm thinking that maybe, instead of comparing the trials we go through in life, if everyone can look at and be open about their trials, we can all reach out to each other and draw what we need from each other. These children are all so open and honest about what they go through. They don't pretend to be strong. They don't think "Oh, so and so has it worse so I have no right to complain"

I think there's a bigger message than many people see here. A lot of people see a message like "There is joy in the darkest of times" and "It could be worse"

True, yes, but here is another message

"Reach out. Who knows who you'll help while you're looking for help."

I think all of us, the older we get, forget that we need people and that we're not meant to be alone.

So if you're reading this, and going through a trial, remember that every hardship brings forward different strengths, and you never know who will need those strengths until you've reached out your hand and you never know what you may find unless you try.

One more very important thing we can learn from these beautiful children =)

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nikki, Sarah.. what you two are doing... is absolutely without a doubt incredible. And look how much money has been raised. The awareness is starting to reach others out there. This is incredible! You two are awesome! I admire you both so much! You've totally inspired me to do something. I'm thinking some kind of massage awareness, especially with cancer.. since a lot of people think that if someone has cancer; they can't receive massage.. and really that's only true in very rare cases. Anyway.. getting ahead of myself here. Thank you Thank you Thank you! I know that I am not the only one that has been inspired...

7/29/2006 08:49:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I totally agree- I think that's a great idea! My Aunt has been dealing with cancer for almost 20 years and with many of her lymph nodes removed she relies on massage to keep her lymphatic system moving.

And I know personally how much better massage can make you feel, dealing with my own ailments. Chemo and other treatments can leave the body feeling sore and weak and I think if more people were aware they could get massage therapy, their lives would be at least less painful. =)

7/29/2006 08:57:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Nikki, hows it going? The site looks great! Are you having a good time?
Ellen Hanson
http://www.caringbridge.org/ma/seanhanson

7/29/2006 09:04:00 PM  
Blogger nikki the red said...

i've been super busy! it's been awesome fun though!! the wonderful sarah has volunteered to help me out on the off hours for awhile!!

Much love to sean and your other kids!!!

7/29/2006 09:09:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home