Sunday, July 30, 2006

Christi Thomas Stories! [Post #30 12 AM]

[Is it really midnight already??]

Here's my Christi story:

I first met the three Thomas girls on September 4th, 2004 (7 days before Christi's diagnosis). I work at a children's museum and the girls came in to spend the morning here. Angela said she'd not taken them into my exhibit before and wasn't planning to stay due to the atmosphere, a bit dark and she thought a bit advanced for a 3 and 5 year old. I met them at the entrance and immediately fell in love with two of the brightest, kindest little girls I'd ever met. We spent what seemed like hours in the exhibit, playing and learning. I believe the girls taught me more than I taught them. Anyway, lunchtime came and Angela said they were off to the Art museum to continue on their Columbus museum hop. About an hour or so later, I looked down the hallway and saw the Thomas girls bounding down the hallway. When I asked what happened to the art museum, Angela said they requested to stay here and play instead. Needless to say, I was thrilled and touched. So we played the afternoon away and said goodbye. That week I couldn't stop telling my friends and co-workers about these sweet little angels that came to the exhibit that day.

About a month later, I was sitting at my desk when a co-worker came in and said there were some guests asking for me, a little girl named Christi who had cancer. I searched my memory for a little girl with cancer, and while I see hundreds of kids every day, some of them stick out. But there was no Christi with cancer in my memory. So I went into the exhibit and looked around, pretty soon a little one came running up to me with a mask on her face and a hat on her head. She took off the hat and said 'look I'm bald. I have cancer!' Then I saw her eyes, and immediately recognized those huge, beautiful, sparkling blue eyes. My heart fell to my shoes. Then sweet little Shayla came running up behind her, followed by beautiful Angela, who seemed to be holding the hand of Mr.
Clean. Angela told me about her diagnosis and her website and asked me to pray for Christi. She also told me that they were at the hospital that morning, feeling down and sick, and her mother suggested they take dad to the museum. With that, Christi perked up and felt better, and off they went to the museum. She told me again how excited she was at finding the pieces of the exhibit and how much fun she was having. I tried as hard as I could to fight back tears and be as excited as she was, but the minute they left, I found an empty room and wept for quite some time.

Since that day, I've been keeping in touch with the Thomas', going to the girls recitals, visiting them in New York and Philly, and even got the chance to accompany them to Disney World for Christmas! I just can't get enough of the Thomas family. They've taught me so much about love, sacrifice, faith, strength, and kindness in the few years that I've known them. I thank the Lord every day to have them in my life.

By Traci Weaver


3 Comments:

Blogger Rourke said...

WOW! You're still typing away, AMAZING!
I sure hope that Eden is in bed by now, she never thinks she's tired, even when she is. I guess that's just being six, though.
I'm amazed at your numbers, they're just fantastic!
Now, how did you get connected with the Thomas Team again?

7/30/2006 12:20:00 AM  
Blogger nikki the red said...

i just found them online!

7/30/2006 12:40:00 AM  
Blogger the Thomas team said...

Traci, you're not supossed to make me cry this early in the morning (LOL!). You have no idea how special you are to us. God bless you!
Love, Angela and the team

7/30/2006 08:17:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home