Saturday, July 29, 2006

Micah is NED & a Miracle! [Post #6 11:30 AM] [vacuuming] [ps, i'm on aol im. im me! pookielocksgirl]

NED=No Evidence of Disease



Micah stopped using her legs when she was just 11 months old, causing us to take her to her pediatrician, who quickly sent us for an MRI at a local children's hospital in Memphis, TN. Shortly thereafter, the MRI showed a large malignant tumor in Micah’s torso that had completely wrapped itself around her little spinal column, completely paralyzing her from the waist down. The neurosurgeons cut Micah from the nape of her neck to her tailbone, removing a small piece of the tumor to study. Within 3 days, we were referred to St Jude Children’s Research Hospital in Memphis, TN and the tumor was diagnosed as Neuroblastoma, Stage IV.

The doctors said she would never walk again. Micah's cancer has a 57% survival rate, thanks to the researchers at St Jude and after 5 surgeries, and months and months of strong chemotherapies, Micah not only beat her Neuroblastoma, but is now our walking, dancing little miracle! She HAS used her legs and to this day, those who don't know Micah's miraculous story cannot even tell that she has fought such an amazing battle and WON!

Micah is now 5 and is now a poster child for StJude. She has spoken (she learned the word "Neuroblastoma" when she was just 2 and began helping me share her story to others) to almost 100 groups of people (ranging from 5 people to over 500) and has done photo shoots, met celebrities, shot videos and commercials, traveled across the country to appear at fund-raising efforts, and more so that she can help spread the amazing things that she has been through so that others may not have to go through them. She is truly a fighter!

You can visit Micah here: www.caringbridge.org/ms/micah

Nikki’s notes: What a miracle she is! The doctors said she would be paralyzed and never walk again!!!! Miracles DO happen, EVERYDAY! That’s why I feel so strongly about raising money for CNCF!! I’m also a St Jude Partner In Hope®. I encourage you to become a Partner in Hope Sponsor too! 1-800-822-6344 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m. CST

I was just searching through their online catalog. I think I may buy this: http://shop.stjude.org/GiftCatalog/shop.do?cID=11082

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Such a miracle story. Thanks for posting Nikki. :)

7/29/2006 11:53:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a wonderful story! GREAT post....

So, I'm sorry - I don't think I've introduced myself! I'm Sara and am supposed to be your monitor for the Blogathon. :-) I'll be popping by periodically to cheer you on and provide coffee refills. GOOD LUCK TODAY!!!

7/29/2006 11:54:00 AM  
Blogger Jennifer Lehmann said...

What a miracle! Micah is very adorable. With the look in those eyes, something tells me she uses those legs to keep her parents a little busy!

I've always said that when I turn 18 I'd be a Partner In Hope. I just had my birthday...so that'll be something I'll work on soon.

7/29/2006 12:09:00 PM  
Blogger nikki the red said...

How was your vacation Jennifer??? Do tell! I'm on instant messenger if you wanna chat! pookielocksgirl

7/29/2006 12:13:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home