Saturday, July 29, 2006

Samantha Hughes: 2nd Cancer Fighter in the Family! [Post #11 2 PM] [PS I'm already tired of cleaning!! I can't believe we're having a party during a blogathon! PLEASE leave me some comments!!]



**Samantha’s Family sent me this link an hour ago. Interesting . . .

My brother Louis was born in March 2001. When he was only 18 months old he was diagnosed with a very rare tumor called Pulmonary Pleurablastoma, so rare there were only around 50 cases like it, in the world. After a nightmare 3 weeks of tests, many operations and several visits to intensive care, the tumor was removed and he has been fine since. My mummy was pregnant with me at the time but doctors advised this should not happen again as the odds of having 2 children with cancer from the same parents were the same as lightening the same place twice.

I came into the world in March 2003, and unlike my brother, as a baby, I slept through the night pretty much straight away, I learned so much from him and was walking and talking way ahead of development schedule, but then again, I am a girl!

In the late summer of 2005, I began to wake many times during the night, demanding Milk which I should be growing out of by now. My appetite then disappeared and could no longer eat any foods during the daytime other than yogurt.

Early September mummy and daddy were very worried as I was eating very little in the daytime and waking all night asking for milk. Their biggest concern was that my belly now looked very swollen and bloated.

They took me for a routine visit to the doctors, who sent me straight to the hospital, I then endured countless tests.

On October 21st I was diagnosed with a childhood cancer called Neuroblastoma. It looks like lightening has struck twice in the same place for our family and this is where my battle begins.

Nikki’s Notes: From searching through Samantha’s site, I’ve learned quite a bit about what she likes. She likes Barney & Friends, her doll collection, Cadbury chocolate (as do I), puzzles, and reading!

The one thing that strikes me about Samantha is her 100—watt smile! In almost every picture on her site, she has the biggest, brightest smile on her face! It makes me want to smile as well! Please visit Samantha’s website http://samanthahughes.info to see that smile!

5 Comments:

Blogger Rourke said...

GO NIKKI! I can't wait until 4 to see what you have to post about Eden.
WOO HOO! Congrats on surpassing your goal already!

Did you hear about the two little bald girls that flew back from Philly together?

7/29/2006 02:13:00 PM  
Blogger nikki the red said...

yes i did!!

Shelly--did you read the strange story I posted today about Eden??

"The absolute WEIRDEST thing ever just happened to me. I went thru the Steak & Shake Drive Thru w/ my dog to get some grub. When I came home, instead of running into the house, my dog ran to the neighbors' house directly across the street from me. I told them I needed to hurry because I was doing a blogathon for cancer today. The lady looked at me and said, "For Neuroblastoma?" I said, "Yes?" She said, "That's you?" I said, "Yes." Apparently Eden Adams, who I'll be blogging about later, is their niece!!!!!!! SMALL WORLD!!! I definitely feel close to God right now!"

7/29/2006 02:18:00 PM  
Blogger Rourke said...

Isn't it amazing? Email me privately, We HAVE to get you and Eden together for a photo op!

hondale@sbcglobal.net

7/29/2006 02:28:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello, one of the boys mentioned the articles page is http://www2.caringbridge.org/europe/jordanaccardi/ incase you would like to read more

7/29/2006 03:43:00 PM  
Blogger nikki the red said...

thank you!

8/02/2006 12:46:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home